At work last week we received an email from AFP about a proposed plan from President Obama that would limit the amount of charitable deductions for those who make more than $250,000. I know..boo hoo those people.
Problem is...those folks use that wealth to donate to non profits like the one I work for...these families are crucial to our fundraising success.
Any hoodle...I was moved to share an email I sent the White House. The last time I wrote to the White House was when I was 15-years-old. I was all riled up about Bill Clinton and the budget...I can't even remember the details. Back then it was a MAILED letter and I remember getting a form letter about "the youth being involved in gov't and how great that was" and an 8x10 glossy of President Clinton! My Dad was so moved by the entire thing he bought me a fancy word processor....you know...not really a typewriter....but not a computer. I thought I was MS. JOURNALIST!!
So here is the email...
President Obama & Advisors,
I write you today in hopes that you will reconsider your current plan that would limit the value of the tax break for itemized deductions, including donations to charity, to 28 percent for families making more than $250,000.
A decrease in the deductions would put a chilling affect on charitable donations. While you say it will affect a small percentage of the population, it is that small population that funds so many of the wonderful non profits around this country.
This passage would affect me, my company and my community. I work for one of the largest, children's service agency in the state - Boys & Girls Town of Missouri. The care and treatment programs we offer touch the lives of children who suffer severe emotional and behavioral problems. These kids often have been abused and neglected.
State & National government payments make up just 65% of our budget. The rest must be raised by a staff of 17 very dedicated fundraisers and our volunteer board and trustees
I am one of those fundraisers.
For the past six and a half year I meet and work closely with many of the families that donate funds that help us make up that 35% difference. They are wonderful people. They work hard, work for businesses that are very supportive in their own right, and give generously to us each year. Many of them would be affected by this charitable deduction change.
Not only would it limit our agency’s ability to raise crucial funds, but all the other wonderful non profits in our city. I would hope it wouldn't come down to the families have to decide which non profits are more important.
St. Louis is historically an extremely generous community. We support hundreds of local non profits. I hope that you and your administration let that tradition continue so that services like the ones my agency provides reach the children and families that rely on these programs.
Thank you.
Well written! You should have considered journalism! :)
ReplyDeleteYou're such a good little worker. PP would be proud!
ReplyDelete